As Rockford’s preferred printer, Meridian is here to help answer your questions about printing. Too often companies or individuals preparing for an event waste money and time on print projects. Never fear, help is on the way! Below we have listed what the different printing options are and ways to figure out which method is best for your next print project.
What is Offset Printing?
Offset printing inherited its name from the processes it uses. The ink used is not directly transferred to the sheet paper. It is offset onto another cylinder before being applied to paper. The process uses etched metal plates that apply ink onto a sheet of paper. Therefore, offset presses run very efficiently once they are set up. This type of printing is the best choice when larger quantities are needed, and provides accurate color reproduction, and crisp, clean professional looking printing
What are the Advantages of Offset Printing?
- Large quantities can be printed cost effectively
- The more you print, the cheaper the price per piece
- A large variety of paper types with custom finishes can be used
- Special custom inks such as metallic and Pantone colors are available
- Highest possible printing quality, with greater detail and color fidelity
When to Choose Something Else
Due to the setup, maintenance, and generally higher order quantities, turnaround time for offset printing can be slightly longer than with Digital Printing.
What is Digital Printing?
Digital printing is a method that involves toner sitting atop of the piece of paper as an alternative of being absorbed by it. The processes uses options such as toner, like in laser or larger printers that do use liquid ink. It works with a combined mix of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black dots to create the image. This is typically used on short-run jobs with a large-format or high-volume laser or inkjet printer. An additional benefit of digital printing is its variable data capability. When each piece needs a unique code, name or address, digital is the only way to go!
Why Choose Digital Printing?
- Setup costs are lower for short runs
- Print only the amount you need, when you need it
- Lower minimum quantities (as low as 1, 20 or 50 pieces) Inexpensive black and white digital printing Variable data capability (names, addresses, codes or numbering can be done easily)
- Improved technology has made digital quality acceptable for more uses
- Watch Advantages of Digital Printing Video
While Offset Printing is a great way to produce fantastic looking print projects, many businesses or individuals do not need large runs of 500 or more. In these cases, the best solution is digital printing
If you have additional questions about your next print project, reach out and give us a call today at 815-885-4747 or contact us HERE. Interact and stay up-to-date with our latest projects & the newest technologies in the print and promo industry, follow us on social media: